Bank Square was part of the Belfast: Streets Ahead scheme by the Department of Social Development, which aims to renew the public streets and spaces in Belfast City Centre. The Bank Square Project concentrated on the redevelopment of Bank Square within the South West Quarter of Belfast City Centre.
The landscape concept for Bank Square has drawn on the historic street pattern, important landmark buildings and vistas to create an enlivened and inclusive City Centre space.
The scheme incorporated the following key elements:
- High quality natural stone granite paving treatments along the main footways
- High quality natural stone Kilkenny blue limestone on Bank Square to create a distinct at-grade surface for events and festivals
- Improved street lighting to discourage anti-social behaviour
- Bespoke feature lighting columns within Bank Square to create visual interest, enclosure, and enhanced illumination
- Modular living wall along the part of the CastleCourt service yard to soften the area and to provide an aesthetically pleasing environment for users
- Mature trees complementary to the area
- Public Art